How to Change Your Jeep’s Oil
If you’re the proud owner of a new Jeep vehicle, then you probably know how important it is to handle manufacturer-recommended maintenance in order to maintain peak performance and longevity. Here, the Jeep service team at Larry Roesch CJDR will take you through a step-by-step guide of how to change your Jeep’s oil.
Step-By-Step Jeep Oil Change Guide
- Get the right tools – Before you get started, make a checklist of the things you’ll need, including a socket wrench, oil filter wrench, funnel, oil pan, funnel, latex gloves, oil, oil filter, and new drain plug washer. Depending on the ground clearance of your Jeep, you may not need a jack and jack stand.
- Get the right oil – It’s important for the proper functioning of your engine that you get the recommended fuel type for your specific make, model, and year.
- Get Your vehicle ready – Let the car sit for a few minutes after turning it off so that the system is warm, not cold. If you need to lift it, do so with the jack now.
- Drain the oil – Remove the oil filter cap and remove the drain plug with a wrench with the oil pan positioned beneath it. Once it’s done draining, tighten the drain plug back up.
- Switch out the oil filter – Reposition the oil pan and then use a wrench to get the old filter loose. As it comes out, you’re sure to make a mess. Once you’re done, use the wrench to put the new filter in.
- Put in the new oil – Put about a quart less than the recommended oil amount in where you previously removed the oil cap. When you’re done, run the engine for a little under a minute, then turn off the engine and check for leaks just in case.
- Check the oil level – Use the dipstick to make sure that the oil is at the recommended level.
Get Help with a Jeep Oil Change at Larry Roesch CJDR
While some Jeep owners will want to take the time to get to know their jeep with a DIY Jeep oil change, others would prefer to count on the convenience and certainty of having a team of factory-trained and certified Jeep technicians handle the job. If the latter is the case for you, feel free to bring your Jeep by our service department during our regular hours, Monday through Saturday, at 200 W. Grand Avenue in Elmhurst, IL. Got questions Don’t hesitate to get in touch at (630) 333-9121.